Course: Diploma in Management Practice and Advanced Techniques Level 4 (Hair and Beauty) (Theatrical and Media Make-Up)
FT / PT
The City and Guilds Level 4 Diploma has two routes – Hair and Beauty and Theatrical and Media Make-Up – and has been designed to help you progress within the hair, beauty and media make-up industries.
Hair and Beauty route
This qualification is ideal for experienced and qualified hair and beauty professionals who work unsupervised, possibly in a supervisory or managerial role, and have a high level of relevant knowledge and skills.
You will study a selection of hairdressing units from hair colour correction, hair and scalp specialist services and managing the creation of a hair style collection, or a selection of beauty units from advanced epilation techniques, physiology of ageing, laser and light treatments for hair removal and skin rejuvenation.
Other modules you may study include:
- Quality management of client care in the hair and beauty sector
- Salon management
- Sales management in the hair and beauty sector
- Public relations in the hair and beauty sector
- Management of health, safety and security in the salon
- Research in the hair and beauty sector
- Marketing in the hair and beauty sector
- Human resource management within the hair and beauty sector
This qualification is supported by the Hairdressing Council.
Theatrical and Media Make-Up route
This course will provide you with the progression techniques and understanding needed to help you start your career as a theatrical, editorial, media, fashion or freelance make-up artist.
You will study a selection of make-up units from creating and casting small prosthetic pieces and bald caps, applying prosthetic pieces and bald caps, managing the creation of a hair style collection and hair and scalp specialist services.
Other modules you may study include:
- Principles of studio photography
- Making and testing beauty therapy products
- Creating and casting small prosthetic pieces and bald caps
- Applying prosthetic pieces and bald caps
- Managing the creation of a hair style collection
- Researching fashion, theatrical, special effects and media make-up industry
- Chemistry of hair and beauty products
- Physiology of ageing
Both routes are practical-based and assessed in a realistic working environment. Knowledge and understanding are assessed through assignments and online tests.
These qualifications could lead to jobs such as a management role within the relevant industry, or you could progress into employment or Higher Education .
The cost of these courses is £5,421, with loan options available. For further details please contact the Admissions team on 0800 854 695 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A student kit will also need to be purchased for £550.
To apply for this course you will need to have successfully completed Media Make-Up, Beauty Therapy or Hairdressing at Level 3.
Your entry will be assessed based on previous experience, initial aptitude test results and from discussing your goals and aspirations. You will need a reference from your tutor or employer and should take pride in your appearance, enjoy communicating with people, have enthusiasm, dedication and a mature attitude.
For each mandatory and optional unit chosen, you will be required to complete an assignment. The assignments will cover: practical tasks, presentations, demonstrations, and knowledge and understanding of tasks.
These qualifications can help you to progress in a wide range of roles within the hair and beauty sector including:
- Professional media make-up artist
- Theatre, film, print media, photographic studios
- Product manufacturing and training
- Salon owner/manager
- Training provider