STCW Medical First Aid Aboard Ship
This course is a requirement for seafarers wishing to progress at sea as a rating or become an Officer of the Watch (OOW).
The course is very comprehensive and includes:
- Construction and functions of the various parts of the human body
- Medical stores carried on ships
- General principles relating to pharmacology
- The principles for dealing with accidents or other medical emergencies
- The application of immediate first aid in the event of accident or illness
The assessment consists of continuous assessment via multiple questionnaires during the course and an oral/practical examination on day three.
If successful, candidates will be awarded a certificate which meets the performance criteria laid down for Medical First Aid Aboard Ship in accordance with Regulation V1/4 of the annex of the STCW convention and section A -V1/4 (1-3) of the STCW Code and the Merchant Shipping (Training and Certification) Regulations 1997. These standards are approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).
- 08-11 November 2017 (Tues to Fri)