East Coast College manages three nurseries - one on the main Lowestoft Campus, one in the Kirkley Children's Centre and the other on the main Great Yarmouth Campus. They are all open to children of students, staff and members of the local community. Between them the nurseries offer childcare for those between the age of six weeks and five years - age ranges vary by nursery. All three nurseries received Good grades in their last Ofsted Inspections.
The East Coast College maintained nurseries aim to:
- create a friendly, caring environment in which children feel secure
- provide play provision and equipment which is suitable for each age group
- create a stimulating environment providing children with opportunities to explore through play to develop socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually
- promote positive behaviour enabling children to grow in confidence and self-esteem
- create an equal opportunity environment in which all children are encouraged to reach their full potential
- consult and involve parents/carers in their child's care and education
- provide a safe environment in which parents feel confident to leave their children
Who can use the nurseries?
- Children whose parents/carers are studying a Further Education qualification, this would be expected to be at least a Schedule 2 course or working towards a Schedule 2 course, or a Higher Education course at East Coast College.
- Children of non-college staff/parents (usually reserved for parents/carers returning to work in the Waveney/Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth area).
- Children of College Staff
Placement allocation is at the discretion of the nursery management team.
The nurseries are open all year round with the exception of bank holidays and some close for one week at Christmas when East Coast College closes (no charge is incurred). Some nurseries will be closed for three days a year for staff development and training. Parents/carers will be informed at least two months in advance of these dates. There will be no charge for these days when the nurseries are closed.
Opening hours for both the Lowestoft Campus Nursery and Ladybird Day Care are as follows:
Monday - Friday 8.00am - 5.30pm
Morning Session - 8.00am - 1.00pm
Afternoon Session - 1.00pm - 5.30pm
Opening hours for Great Yarmouth Nursery are as follows:
Monday – Friday - 8am – 6pm
The Nursery is closed on all recognised bank holidays, weekends and over the Christmas period. You will not be charged for your session when the nursery is closed
Care sessions are a minimum of 3 hours at the following times 9am and 12noon and 1pm and 4pm. The nursery is open from 8am until 6pm for additional hours, if required.
Late collection of children causes considerable disruption and, whilst we understand that occasionally unexpected incidents will result in a carer being late, persistent late collection will result in an additional charge and we reserve the right to charge any parent/carer the equivalent of an hour's charge for every 15 minutes late after the end of the child's session.
Lowestoft Campus Nursery
Tel: 01502 525136
St Peter's Street, Lowestoft
The Lowestoft Campus nursery has been open since 1988 and is situated in the College grounds. At the start of 2013 the nursery moved in to a brand new building which offers three separate playrooms and a secure garden area. It was inspected by Ofsted in 2017 and received an overall grade of Good (2).
The nursery can accommodate 38 children aged from six weeks to five years. Children can attend on a full-time or part-time basis either a few days a week or just mornings or afternoons. For more information about Lowestoft Campus nursery click on the links below.
Ladybird Day Care
Tel: 01502 532740 Extension 3
Kirkley Children's Centre, Lowestoft
Ladybird Day Care opened in May 2007 and is registered with Ofsted. Ladybird Day Care is situated in the Kirkley Children’s Centre on the ground floor in a secure purpose built unit with a large outdoor area.
The two play rooms can be accessed by the main entrance to the Centre and then via a security door. The Day Care can accommodate 56 children aged from six weeks to five years. Children attend on a regular full- or part-time basis. Ladybird Day Care was inspected by Ofsted in 2017 and received an overall grade of Good (2).
Great Yarmouth Nursery
Tel: 01493 442443
Lichfield Road, Southtown, Great Yarmouth
Great Yarmouth Campus Nursery has been established at its current location since 2005 and provides full day care for children aged between 3 months and 5 years and can accommodate 44 children per session.
The nursery is situated in the grounds of East Coast College, Great Yarmouth and provides childcare for the children of staff and students of the college and also the general public.
The children are split into three rooms to cater for their different ages. As the children grow, they move up into the next room suited to their age and individual stage of development. All children learn through play and activities are provided to aid development in line with government legislation and guidance (Early Years Foundation Stage).
The nursery team is led by Nursery Manager Justine McGarey. All of our nursery nurses hold relevant and up to date qualifications in child care, and are committed to continuous professional development.
The nursery also works alongside the college to provide placements for students on appropriate courses.
Anyone having direct contact with our children holds an enhanced DBS clearance certificate.
A typical day at nursery will include:
- 8-9am Breakfast club
- 9-10am garden time
- 10am -11.40 – freeplay , rolling snack, craft and painting
- 11.40 story and song time
- 12pm – home time and lunch time.
- 1pm – 3pm – freeplay , rolling snack, craft and painting
- 3-4pm garden time
- 4-5pm home time, teatime and freeplay.
“All About Me”
The setting keeps a record of achievement for each child. Staff and parents work together to ensure these are kept up to date and record children’s achievements at both home and nursery.
To complete this, your child’s key person will collect photographs, information about the child’s interests, needs and achievements. This information will allow the keypersons to identify your child’s stage of development and how to help them move onto the next stage.
What Will I Need For Nursery?
- Adequate supplies of nappies and wipes if applicable
- Clothing labels to name your child’s clothes.
- Slippers, as we do not wear outdoor shoes inside.
- Wellington boots for playing in all weathers.
- All in one water proof play suits for playing in all weathers.
- Spare clothes so we can change your child if they are wet or dirty.